Welcome to the first edition of CopyCat Cafe! The CCC mission is to provide you with delicious fast-food meals at home! Today, we have a college favorite of mine: CFA Chicken Nuggets. I could live off those cow-endorsed chunks of chicken in a pinch, but eating out always costs more than making it yourself.
These weren’t an EXACT match – you need to have a pressure cooker of peanut oil for the real thing – but they were pretty damn tasty! Crispy, juicy, and very satisfying. Try them!
This Premiere of CopyCat Cafe is dedicated to The Happy Idiot’s FIRST and FAVORITE Follower, Lady Laura of Oz. Thanks for your support! 🙂
CopyCat Cafe CFA Nuggets
(Adapted from Stephanie @ Stockpiling Moms)
1 large egg
1 cup buttermilk
1 pound boneless, skinless chicken breasts
1 and 1/4 cup flour
3 Tbsp powdered sugar
2 tsp salt
1 and 1/2 tsp black pepper
1/2 tsp chili powder
1/2 tsp paprika
Peanut oil for frying
- Combine the buttermilk and egg in a large bowl
- Cut up your chicken into nugget size pieces, and place them in the buttermilk mixture. Let them soak for at least twenty minutes, or even better, overnight
- Combine flour, powdered sugar with the spices and salt: (Note: I found the original recipe to be a little less spicy than I would have liked, so I added a little more pepper and tossed in some paprika. Try out what you like!)
- Take a frying pan and cover the bottom with peanut oil – this is essential for the authentic CFA taste. They use it exclusively.
- Heat the pan to medium heat
- Take your chicken chunks and dredge them in the flour mixture. Give them a little shake, and put them back in the milk mixture. Dredge them again in the flour. Double dipping ensures a crispy, crunchy, coating.
- Place the chunks in the hot oil and fry them for about four minutes on each side, or until the coating is golden brown
- Place the fried chunks on paper towels to soak up the excess oil.
- Enjoy! Serves 4 people.
If you don’t feel like nuggets, why not take the boneless chicken breasts and pound them flat? Dredge them in the milk and flour and fry just like the nuggets. Add a toasted, buttery bun and a few pickles, and you have a great CFA crispy sandwich!
Find The Happy Idiot now on Facebook!