I’ve been away for a while, but I’m back and ready to share my newest DIY recipe.
We recently purchased a Bissell Spot Bot (love it!!!) to help keep our carpets clean. It came with samples of carpet cleaner, but we ran out of them quickly. Fiance looked at the empty bottles and asked me, “Do you think you can come up with something?”
I scoured the internet for recipes for carpet cleaners, and after a little mixing, I think I came up with a great recipe. Take a look at the picture – that circle of clean is 100% from my DIY carpet cleaner solution!
What you need:
- A large, reusable container for mixing and storage. I bought a beverage dispenser for easy use! Make sure it is one that has a small hole or vent in it – the vinegar and OxyClean can react and foam up, and you don’t want any pressure building up. Trust me, though – it’s worth it!
- White distilled vinegar
- Dish soap
- Febreeze (Make Your Own works great!). You could also pick up the allergen reducing kind for another benefit.
- Powdered OxyClean – this stuff is super versatile, and you can find it in the laundry aisle.
What to do:
Mix together the following
- Two cups of vinegar
- One HALF a cup of dish soap
- One cup of Febreeze
- Stir well
- Add the OxyClean to FOUR cups of HOT water and stir until dissolved
- Slowly add the OxyClean mix to the other.
There you go! That’s all you need. You will smell a little vinegar when you use it, but as it dries, the smell goes away. If you like, add 5-10 drops of scented essential oil!
Our carpets are already looking cleaner!
Coming up next on thehappyidiot:
- Flu shots – what’s your cheapest option this season?
- 10 dollar dinners – a yummy fall favorite that will fill you up
- The Budget Baker: Spiced Apple and Pumpkin Muffins!