I love muffins. They’re such a versatile food. You can have them for breakfast or dessert, and it’s so easy to tweak a basic muffin recipe into something custom to your tastes.
My fiance’ never has time to eat breakfast at home before he leaves for work, so I like to make sure there is something in the house he can grab and take with him. Muffins are great for this.
He really isn’t picky when it comes to baked goods, but he absolutely loves anything with pumpkin in them, so I came up with these pumpkin muffins with a twist – I added fresh Michigan apples and a spicy, crunchy topping. They’re absolutely delicious!
Spiced Apple & Pumpkin Muffins
2 cups flour
1.5 cups sugar
1 teaspoon baking powder
1 teaspoon baking soda
.5 teaspoon salt
1 tablespoon pumpkin pie spice
1 15 oz can of pure pumpkin
½ cup milk
1/3 cup oil
2-3 Michigan Honeycrisp Apples (or your favorite apple)
Spicy Crunchy Topping
¼ cup flour
1/8 cup brown sugar
½ teaspoon cinnamon
½ teaspoon pumpkin pie spice
1 stick butter, melted
- Preheat your oven to 350
- Wash, peel, and chop the apples into small chunks
- Sift together the flour, baking soda, baking powder and salt. Set bowl aside
- Mix together pumpkin, egg, milk, and oil. Mix until smooth
- Add the pumpkin pie spice
- Add wet ingredients to dry ingredients, mixing only until incorporated. Over mixing your muffins will make them less fluffy and moist
- Mix in the chopped apples
- Spoon the mix into a greased muffin tin, filling each cup ¾ the way full.
- Melt the stick of butter fully, and stir in the flour, brown sugar, cinnamon, and pumpkin spice.
- Drizzle the butter mixture over each muffin.
- Bake for 35 minutes
These muffins come out moist, flavorful, and the topping comes out like a crunchy streusel.