If you’re like me, cleaning isn’t the most fun for you. However, I’ve found that I enjoy it more when I’m using stuff that I made myself – stuff that smells fantastic and saved me money!
Most of my favorite cleaning products have citrus in them. It smells good, and the oils suck up grease and grime like nobody’s business. I decided to make my own version, and I know you’ll love it! It only has two ingredients and you probably have them in your kitchen right now!
All you need is a bag of fresh oranges and a bottle of white distilled vinegar. These two items are superstars in our house for all the things you can do with them!
- 1 bag of oranges (I choose Clementines for their size and extra sweet scent)
- 1 gallon of white distilled vinegar
- 1 plastic gallon container
What to do
- Take out five oranges. Slice four of them up into quarters and place them in your gallon container.
- Take the remaining orange and use a food grater or zester to remove the skin (if you don’t have a grater, just peel the orange instead)
- Place the rinds/skin into the container
- Pour half of the vinegar into the container, over the rinds and orange slices
- As you go through the week, eat the rest of the oranges and save the peels. Put them into the gallon container.
- When you run out of oranges, pour the rest of the white vinegar into the gallon container. Seal it, and set it aside for two weeks.
That’s all there is to it! Let the container sit, and in two weeks you will have the most amazing orange cleaner you will ever use! Get yourself a spray bottle and a coffee filter and you can use it. Place the coffee filter into the spray bottle and pour the orange mixture in. This filters out any of the rind that might clog the spray nozzle.
You can use it on ANY surface – except for wood. I’m not sure how the vinegar and oil would react on wood, so I’ve never tried. But it keeps bathrooms and kitchens and windows absolutely spotless! And the smell is divine!
That’s all there is to it! You can keep adding vinegar and new orange peels to the gallon so you always have a fresh supply!